Trans Woman Who Killed Her Parents and Later Converted to Islam Gets 25 Years to Life in Prison

Mia Bailey. Photo Credit: Facebook

A transgender woman who murdered her parents in Utah has been sentenced to spend the rest of her life in prison. 

Mia Bailey, 30, received two consecutive sentences of 25 years to life for killing her mother and father. The case ended with an emotional courtroom hearing where family members spoke and Bailey shared a written statement through her lawyer.

During the sentencing hearing on Friday, Bailey asked the judge to let her skip the hearing. She said hearing details about the crimes could cause a mental breakdown. Despite that request, the court moved forward. 

Bailey was also given up to five years in prison for aggravated assault after shooting at her brother, who had locked himself in a bedroom with his wife during the attack.

In a statement read aloud by her attorney, Ryan Stout, Bailey said she had converted to Islam while in prison. “Because of my religious beliefs as a Muslim, it would be appropriate to take my life for atonement for what I did,” the statement said. The message was shared with the court exactly as written.

Stout also explained that Bailey had a long history of mental health problems. According to him, she had been diagnosed with ADHD, OCD, anxiety, depression, psychosis, possible bipolar disorder with psychosis, and schizophrenia. 

He told the judge, “The most recent time she committed herself [to the hospital], she was discharged three days later, and 10 days later she murdered her parents.” This detail was included to show how unstable her condition had been before the killings.

The murders happened on June 18, 2024, inside the family’s Utah home. Police said Bailey broke into the house before shooting her parents. 

Gail Bailey was shot four times, and Joseph Bailey was shot twice in the head. After the attack, Bailey fled and was found about 16 hours later following a large manhunt, according to court records.

Bailey’s brothers also spoke during the hearing. One of them, Corey Bailey, said the family still lives in fear. 

“What’s best for us and what’s best for Mia is probably staying in prison for as long as possible,” he told the judge. He added, “We’ve lost our parents, and we’ve lost a sibling in many ways as well. So either way, no matter what, we are losing as a family on this sentence.”

Corey also said he does not believe Bailey was in the right state of mind during the murders, but admitted he is still afraid of what could happen.

Another brother, Dustin Bailey, spoke directly to her in court. “It was clear you were not safe or well,” he said. He also talked about their mother, Gail, calling her Bailey’s strongest supporter. “When Mia struggled, Gail’s response was not frustration or withdrawal. It was persistence,” Dustin said.

According to the New York Post, Bailey has already pleaded guilty to all charges. The sentence means she will spend decades in prison, with parole only possible far in the future, according to the court’s ruling.

Authorities Charge California Woman in Death of Her 7-Year-Old Daughter

Jessica Savangsy
Photo Credit: FOX40

A tragic morning in California has turned into a tangle of accusations, with a mother and her boyfriend now both facing murder charges after the death of a 7-year-old girl and serious injuries to her younger sister.

Jessica Savangsy, 26, and her boyfriend, Retuquel Dupree, have each told police — and later the media — very different versions of what happened inside their home. Their daughter, Adalynn, was found unresponsive and later pronounced dead. Her 5-year-old sister was discovered injured but alive.

Speaking from jail in an interview with ABC affiliate KXTV, Savangsy described the moment she says she found her daughter. “I woke up around seven and she was just stiff cold,” she said. “I started crying and I just grabbed her. I was just like, I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry.”

Savangsy has accused Dupree of causing Adalynn’s death and of severely beating both children. According to her account, he was responsible for the injuries that sent the younger girl to the hospital. She maintains that he should be held accountable alongside her.

Dupree, however, strongly denies those claims. In a separate jailhouse interview, he insisted he had nothing to do with harming either child. “I never abused those kids. I will never hurt kids. I would never hurt a kid,” he said.

Police say they were called to the home around 7:37 a.m. after receiving a report of an unresponsive child. Officers arrived and found Adalynn inside the residence. She was rushed to a local hospital, but doctors were unable to save her.

In a statement released by police, officials said: “Officers conducted a sweep of the residence and located an additional 5-year-old girl in a bedroom who also had injuries. She was also transported to the hospital for treatment. 

Two additional kids were asleep inside the house and were not injured. Sadly, the 7-year-old was pronounced deceased at the hospital.”

Dupree told KXTV he was not home the day before police were called and claimed he had been asleep when Savangsy alerted him that Adalynn was unresponsive. He alleges that Savangsy was the one who harmed both children. 

During the interview, he also made claims about the children’s relationship with their mother, saying, “They didn’t even call her ‘my mom,’ they would call her Jessica, and then they would, um, tell me… ‘I want Jessica to leave. I want to stay with you.’”

Records show Dupree was previously employed as a police officer with the Citrus Heights Police Department but was fired in 2021. The department has not publicly explained the reason for his termination. 

Dupree later filed a lawsuit claiming he was fired because of his race, and that case remains pending.

Both Savangsy and Dupree are now facing charges of murder, conspiracy, and felony child abuse. Authorities have also indicated that torture charges are expected to be added, per ABC10.

Despite blaming her boyfriend, Savangsy told the outlet she believes both of them should be punished. “The best way I can bring justice to my daughters is I do the time, and Dupree does the time,” she said.

The investigation remains ongoing as authorities continue working to determine exactly what happened inside the home that morning.

Man Stabbed to Death by Girlfriend’s Son Moments After Giving Her a Christmas Eve Kiss

Leandro Flaeschen Moreira
Photo Credit: Municipal Guard

A Christmas gathering in a quiet Brazilian town turned deadly within seconds, leaving one man dead, several others injured, and a family shattered.

Leandro Flaeschen Moreira, 41, was stabbed to death during a Christmas dinner at a home in Jaguariúna, in the São Paulo region, after a brief and sudden attack allegedly carried out by his girlfriend’s 18-year-old son, Caio César dos Santos Bartolomeu. 

The violence reportedly erupted just moments after midnight, when Leandro exchanged a Christmas greeting and a kiss with his partner, Sidneia Gonçalves dos Santos, 51.

According to local reports, Sidneia wished her boyfriend a “Merry Christmas,” and he responded by kissing her. That small moment is said to have triggered the teenager, who had reportedly disapproved of the relationship. 

Investigators believe Bartolomeu had a knife hidden in his pocket and pulled it out almost immediately, stabbing Leandro without warning.

The attack unfolded in seconds. A neighbour later told authorities he was alerted by Leandro’s screams and rushed into the home, where he found him lying on the ground, covered in blood. Despite emergency efforts, Leandro was pronounced dead shortly afterward.

Sidneia was also injured while trying to stop her son. Police said she attempted to restrain him during the attack and suffered wounds in the process. She was taken to hospital for treatment, along with three other people who were later stabbed in the surrounding neighbourhood.

Leandro’s 16-year-old daughter witnessed the attack inside the house. Following the incident, she was taken into the care of Child Protective Services and is expected to be placed in temporary foster care while authorities assess the situation.

By the time officers from the Jaguariúna Metropolitan Civil Guard (GCM) arrived, Bartolomeu had fled the scene. Authorities say he went on to stab three more people nearby before being surrounded by local residents. 

He was eventually detained by police and taken to hospital. Officials said he was initially considered unfit to give a statement “due to his injuries and the effects of his medication,” and would be formally interviewed later.

Police have opened an investigation into homicide and bodily harm. Leandro’s body was sent to a forensic medical institute, where an autopsy will be carried out to determine further details about his death.

The violent episode came as the region was already reeling from another tragedy reported the same day. 

In a separate incident in São Paulo state, five members of the same family, including two children, were killed in a Christmas Eve car crash. 

Luís Carlos de Souza Pinheiro, 36, and Paula Daniela Martins, 45, were travelling with their children, aged 12 and 4, and Paula’s sister, Dulcinéia Lozano, when their vehicle was struck by a BMW on the SP-331 motorway.

The impact caused their car to burst into flames, killing all five at the scene. The BMW driver was taken to Santa Casa de Pirajuí hospital with minor injuries. He told police the family’s vehicle had been stopped on the road with its lights off and reportedly refused to take a breathalyser test. An investigation into that crash is ongoing.

Four Charged After Alleged Six-Hour Assault of Girl in South-West Sydney

Sexual Assault
Photo Credit: New South Wales Police

Four young males, aged 14 to 19, are facing a long list of serious charges after police allege a 17-year-old girl was subjected to a horrifying six-hour sexual assault in Liverpool, in Sydney’s southwest. Investigators say the attack unfolded across several locations and involved coordinated actions by multiple offenders.

According to New South Wales Police, the incident began on December 15, 2024, when the teenager was at a shopping centre in Liverpool. She was allegedly approached by a 16-year-old teenager she had never met before. 

Authorities say he followed her as she walked toward the car park and eventually convinced her to let him into her vehicle.

Once inside, police allege the situation quickly escalated. Detective Superintendent Jayne Doherty said the teenager made a video call to others and began sexually assaulting the girl. “This was not a pre-planned event,” Doherty told reporters, adding that the actions unfolded rapidly and opportunistically.

The girl reportedly tried to get him to leave, but police say he refused and instead persuaded her to drive to Wheat Park in Sadleir, promising he would get out there. When they arrived, two more males allegedly entered the vehicle and also began assaulting her. A fourth male later arrived separately and joined the group inside the car.

Authorities allege the teenagers then drove the victim’s vehicle through Sadleir and nearby Miller while continuing the assault. Police said the group “encouraged each other” during the attack and acted in a way that deliberately frightened the girl. The car was allegedly driven erratically as the assaults continued.

At different points, two of the suspects exited the vehicle after being dropped off. Police say the remaining two later returned to the park, where the abuse continued. The ordeal finally ended around 11:30 p.m., roughly six hours after it began, when the girl was abandoned.

“She was very distraught,” police said. After being left alone, the girl contacted a friend, who took her to Liverpool Police Station. From there, she was provided medical care and gave a statement to investigators.

The case is being handled by the State Crime Command’s Sex Crime Squad. Detectives say the investigation involved extensive inquiries, interviews, and forensic work before arrests were made.

On December 20, 2024, police arrested the first suspect, a 16-year-old male. He was charged with 24 offences, including nine counts of sexual intercourse without consent and eight counts of aggravated sexual assault in company. 

On the same day, a 14-year-old was also arrested and charged with 10 offences, including seven counts of aggravated sexual assault in company.

Both appeared at a children’s court on December 21 and were refused bail. They were scheduled to return to court on August 11, 2025.

On June 18, 2025, police arrested the two remaining alleged offenders. They appeared in court the following day and were collectively charged with 14 counts of aggravated sexual assault, the ABC News reports.

One of those charged was identified as 19-year-old Adam Abdul Hamid. During a brief court appearance, his lawyer told reporters that his client “maintains his innocence.” He was denied bail.

The other accused, who was minor at the time of the alleged offence and therefore cannot be named, was also refused bail while awaiting a further application.

Police have emphasized the seriousness of the allegations and praised the victim for coming forward. Detective Superintendent Doherty said the investigation showed how multiple offenders can work together in ways that intensify harm and fear.

Share This Article
Leave a comment